Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reduced long position

I didn't wait till HFU to hit around 50-day EMA, because it maintained a black candle for the whole morning. I'm worried that it may top out for now, so I sold at $15.90. Not bad because I think that is more or less the highest price after I entered my limit order. However I'm keeping my HGU even though I'm already sitting at a 18% profit.

As well I sold my FMCN at $50.09 for now. I don't want to take that risk to bet Microsoft will report good earnings and market will continue to move significantly up. Since tomorrow is Friday I think market will start up high, slow down and closes in green. If the closing price is significantly higher than opening price, this upward move may still have some energy to go next week, otherwise, market may start to get weak again mid next week.

I also sold some of my closed-end fund holdings. That is a fund mainly hold dividend paying stocks and financials is a big sector. I reduced half of the position, free up some cash for later opportunities. If market continues to go up and lift this closed-end fund up too I will sell the other half. I think I want to keep more cash for ETF investings.

Couldn't find a good price to unload another mutual fund which mainly invests in Canadian financials. I incorrectly thought Canadian financials were stablizing, only to see the position now sitting at almost a 10% loss in no more than 2 months. Forunately I never want to start with a big position so absolutely I'm not burned badly. Another global equity growth fund disappointed me today as well. With the market rebounded and the fund surprisingly showed me a negative return. This fund is now losing more than 12% since I bought about 1.5 months ago.

So I'm still roughly about 50% long and 50% cash. I still think under such an economic environment 50% long is too much. I think in the meantime the desire long % should be no more than 20%, and should not be in individual stock. I'm now left with only one individual stock, which is Nintendo, and I'm going to hold it.

If chance allows I'll try to close more position, given Microsoft provided a good earnings and sounds like market is going up tomorrow, I believe I may have chance to unload again.

No comments: