Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Market swings

Well I have to acknowledge that I don't remember I have seen such a big swing up and down of stock indices since tech bubble burst in 2000/2001. If you are brave and very skillful or lucky to catch the swing you probably have earned a lot only over a few days.

There are diverge opinions on where market is heading. One opinion from bulls is tech stocks usually are strong by end of year, however, what do you mean by usually? What about I tell you "usually money market fund provides positive returns", and only to see that GE told investors that they can liquidate their money from the money market fund for 96 cents of a dollar. Usually doesn't mean always. History may not repeat.

People don't get it wrong. Technical analysis is not to confirm will history repeat. You have to understand technical analysis from another angle.

People use technical analysis to try to find clues about where the smart money is going and anticipating. It is nothing do to history or whatsoever. Therefore, a perfect technical analysis does not just analyze some statistics or charts, but line-up those analysis with the actual situation you are encountering.

Okay a little update on my portfolio. Still holding SVA, Tuesday's downward movement worries me a bit, as the markets rallied so much but SVA dropped, doesn't look very promising, I'll keep an eye on it.

Besides, I bought into FXP and TWM before noon. I acknowledge I got into a bit late or early, as before noon actually was almost the highest prices throughout the day. If I got into it right at the opening I will be much better. But since I want to confirm the sentiment of the strong stocks that's why I got into a bit late.

I have no intention to hold the two ultra short for very long, just a swing or two to the downside like we had late last week will do me good.

The market today did show weakness to me, provide that GOOG opened up by $13 only to see it closed at down by $19. Or BIDU opened up by $25 and closed with only up by $2.55. Or AAPL opened up by $7 and closed down by $3.85... The list goes on specially to tech stocks and Chinese stocks. Anyway I feel uncertain about a strong tech Q4.

No comments: